Tuesday, November 23, 2010

So this is an exotic plant blog and I will not let you down.

I like mostly species plants, but I have more hybrids than I can shake a stick at. I have been growing plants as long as I can remember, not saying anything about it to my friends. My current crop contains Caucidiforms, Bulbs, Chrismas Cacti, Epiphyllum, Roses, Tulips, and a few thousland Dandelions. 

But being November I really don't need to talk about the outside right now. What's growing now? Well, sprouting I have Amaryllis "Black Pearl",  "Blossom Peacock", "Minerva" and Narcissus  "Paperwhite Ziva". I plan to force these to bloom this winter and will put them in the garden when the time is right, so I can force them next year without having to buy more. I have 2 Thanksgiving Cacti that are not blooming at all  Schlumbergera "Marie", "Wintermarchen" and one real Christmas cactus, also not blooming, Schlumbergera Xbuckleyi.

The real kick in the pants was to see a plant I attempted to sell at the club sale this year, then donated to the club given to the president leaving office, with 40 or so blooms and as many buds. Maybe I am not watering them enough or I gave them too much fertilizer this summer. The joy of plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment