Friday, January 7, 2011

Finally a few blooms!

H. 'Blossom Peacock'

Finally today my Hippeastrum (Amaryllis) 'Blossom Pecock' burst out of its buds. H 'Black Pearl' I gave to my in laws on condition I could see and plant it out in the spring. H 'Minerva' looks to be working hard at this too. But boy does it make a difference where the bulbs come from.Black Pearl and  Blossom Peacock are  from a nursery at $10-15 each, and Minerva is a Home Depot rescue for $6.99.

These plants will not bloom just once for me, as I will be planting both in the ground for the summer, where they may bloom or not, uprooting them in August or September and cooling them down for a rest before repotting around Thanksgiving.
H. 'Black Pearl'

Thank god that Schlumbergias are easier to culture. Just a little shade in the summer, and they will bloom sometime a lot, sometimes a little, but they always perform.  I have S. Dark Marie in bud right now, and it looks like lipstick. I cannot wait for the flowers.

    S. 'Wintermarchen'

    No comments:

    Post a Comment